Sunday, January 02, 2005

The beach

Happy 2005 everyone! I had a great new year's eve. It's traditional for me to disregard the fact that everybody else I see seems to be going out with their friends and getting drunk and having fun! Not for me! And this year was no exception. Mum, Dad, Alice and I were trapped (literally) in an apartment above Luna Park for the whole evening, with nothing but 2 bottles of sparkling red wine, some VB, a pack of salted nuts and my laptop (oh... so so nerdy). So, in the course of the evening, Alice and I watched the boats sailing on the harbour (amongst all the other generic boats, one... 'socially challenged' boat had a giant E=mc2 illuminated on it... maybe I should have been on it with my laptop), plotted how to break into the fairy floss storage room at the back of luna park and watched the Simpsons on my laptop. During this, mum and dad just fell asleep. The fireworks were, you know, generic. The hyped giant disco ball, on the other hand, was just bullshit. It alternated between flashing pale yellow and paler yellow. Wow. Who would have thought that possible in 2004? Here are some photos from the night:

Alice, stop spitting on the depressed, chain smoking employees at the back of Luna Park... you might hit the fairy floss!


2 hours into the evening. Fight the boredom.


The Harbour Bridge explodes and melts. Bullshit ball not shown.

I'm down at Hyams Beach now. Yesterday, a fun packed day of packing and moving was had. This included me having to take a detour into Kings Cross to return a 79c cake tin to Victor (half brother) because he desperatley needed to make a cake. It also included a traditional stop in Kiama to have bad fish and chips. Something was different at the fish shop this year, however. They had this sign up:

Small children eh? Well, wouldn't that be HORRIBLE?

So naturally, I set off on a mission to feed all of my fish to the listed bird offenders:


I couldn't stick around to see the results, unfortunatley.

Allmusic has a long best albums of 2004 up, and Jeph from Questionable Content has a pretty good one too. I, being obsessed with rating albums as I am, have been working on one for ages, but I got about 10 2004 albums in the last week which will need a few listens before I can tell if they should knock any of my current top 10 out. But it's been a great year in music... even if some of the shittest albums ever were released (ie: Good Charlotte... right Vladimir?).

Anyway, a great 2005 to you all!

7 Comments:

At 1/03/2005 02:38:00 PM, Blogger Jean_Therapist said...

Woah. Your sister has exactly the same profile as you do.

Family new years are fun.

You coming to my birthday?

 
At 1/04/2005 01:20:00 PM, Blogger conditionals said...

Yes it's true... although she doesn't seem to be having the same unpopular nerdiness at school that I had. I guess this is a good thing!

I'll try Alice, I promise. Because I have to come down to get ready for Europe anyway. Plus things that you host are always so awesome. Especially when they are youth versions.

 
At 1/04/2005 02:01:00 PM, Blogger Jean_Therapist said...

You need a dose of Australinity before you head off for more inhospitable climes anyway.

If you don't, it'll be as though you weren't even there. I will put half a bottle of pirate in your tea, and tell Thomas not to talk to you any more.

Who knows, we might have a fraggle making balloon animals. Okay that's all a series of outrageous lies, but just think how much effort I'm putting in to tempt you to come.

 
At 1/05/2005 04:24:00 PM, Blogger conditionals said...

I'm duly tempted. Speaking of fraggles, do you remember the also-ridiculously-names Bottersnikes and Gumbles? They were awesome books. The Bootersnikes were set on stuffing the gumbles into trash cans.

Here are some images I found:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/rahball/b&g-sample-1.gif
http://members.optusnet.com.au/rahball/b&g-sample-2.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/rahball/b&g-sample-4.gif

 
At 1/06/2005 08:45:00 PM, Blogger Jean_Therapist said...

I remember the bottersnikes and gumbles. They were rad.

Did you ever read any of the adventures in Moominland with the moomins?

 
At 1/06/2005 09:27:00 PM, Blogger conditionals said...

No... although I am interested in find out more about these things.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you see Lemony Snicket. I scents that you'd like it. Oh. Horrible

 
At 1/07/2005 04:13:00 PM, Blogger Jean_Therapist said...

You can tell that I would like it? Wow! it must be your sixtrus sense. Things which would otherwise seem stOrange and airy to most pip-ple are solid and Tangerinable to you.

Oh god, my puns are Lime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home