Thursday, October 07, 2004

Ol' Arch knows which way the wind blows

Now, my album "listening cycle"...
It has to be explained.
Those of you who thought I could actually be sane are FOOLS!
Here's how it works. I usually buy a new release album by a band that I like on the day it is released (officially a monday, but sometimes sundays if the store is down with the distributor). I will listen to this album once a week (I don't [usually] write a calendar or anything, I just remember the day I listen to each album and aim to roughly listen to it on the same day the next week) until I am sick of it. During this time I can't skip a track, since this would go against the original intended running sequence of the artists. I try to appreciate the album as a whole, not just a collection of tracks. If, in this once a week listening period I happen to hear a song from the album on the radio, I will turn the radio off so as to not get sick of said song. The once a week thing worked itself out about 5 years ago when I noticed that if I listened to a new album every day, then I would get sick of it. Listening to an album once a week gives me usually about 2 months of enjoyment for a standard album (Franz Ferdinand), with the better ones getting up to 4 months, the shittest ones sometimes about 2 weeks (the new SPOD album, Liam Lynch). The awesome thing about the once a week is that if I really like a song or the entire album, I have to wait a whole week to hear its awesomeness again. So by the time the next week comes, I can hardly wait to hear the album. It's sort of like a built in self restraint so I lose the excitement of listening to a particular album, and since every album makes me feel a particular way when I listen to it (this feeling usually only lasts until the once a week period is up... once I get sick of it any feeling is replaced by an unbearable feeling of restlessness, thus kicking it out of the cycle).

After the once a week period ends, I usually put the cd to rest for a while, to be ocassionaly pulled out for a listen once every few months. Sometimes a cd may experience a renaissance that kicks it back into the the once a week cycle (the Cooper Temple Clause's awesome Kick Up the Fire and Let the Flames Break Loose). Other times a cd may stay in a rough weekly cycle for up to a year, usually getting listened to once every 2-3 week (Brand New's Deja Entendu, Funeral for a Friend or the self titled Phantom Planet). A few albums exist outside the cycle and I listen to them when I am in a particular mood (such as Stereophonics' You Gotta Go There To Come Back, Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American and REM's UP). And then there are albums such as Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots which are so brilliant that they never die. Also, after a cd is out of the listening cd, I feel free to pick and choose any songs from the album and listen to them by themselves, since there is no chance my feelings about the cd will be ruined because I already know it so well.

Now, the thing with me and music is that if I am even vaguely interested in a band, I buy their cd. Usually on the release day. If a band that I really like has a cd coming up (something that usually happens only once every 2 years for any given band) I get a sense of anticipation that I don't really feel for anything else. Well, it just so happens that I am FUCKED at the moment. So many awesome bands are releasing cds that I and my schizophrenic listening cycle and wallet can't keep up. Here are the cds that I've gotten in the last 20 days:

WHAMMO! I got greedy. And to listen to each of these once a week? That's a lot of pointless long-cuts on the way to uni so I can fit them in. And do you know what is even more fucked? This month's release schedule reads like a dream list of awesomeness. New cds from REM, Cake, Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World, Fatboy Slim, Machine Gun Fellatio, 28 Days, Elliot Smith, Robbie Williams (his new song kicks ass). Not to mention the Brian Wilson rerecording of Smile which is meant to kick ass, as well as the apparently brain-meltingly good new William Shatner album (yeah... ) which was cowritten by Ben Folds.

Help me.

12 Comments:

At 10/07/2004 10:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAH! will! you bought good charlotte!?! have you not seen the video clip for their latest song? ohh the humanity. that jar of black liquid on the lemonade stand labelled "lost hopes"...

apart from that, excellent music whore-ing business you have there. i am exactly the same as you, i buy any album by a band who i am remotely interested in, sometimes i only like one of their songs and buy the whole album. except, sometimes i only listen to them once and lose the cd in my huge stack of cd's, never to be listened to again (like that new george album..)
-jian

 
At 10/07/2004 11:12:00 AM, Blogger conditionals said...

I like George about as much as my half-brother George... who stood next to me for 5 minutes without recognising me and then left. No wait comparison is dodgy, because if I was standing next to George the band for 5 minutes I would poke them all in the eyes.

Hey the new Good Charlotte cd is good! Ok, so they are Gothic, Christian, lyrically inane, predicatble, over-produced puppets of the music industry... but I like Aqua.

 
At 10/07/2004 02:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit
I just went out to three different shopping centres and became the consumeristic whore i am once every couple of months. a few hundred dollars later and i now own new dallas crane, REM, postal service, green day, beatles #1's, phantom planet (inspired by you)

we should hoarde our music collection together, we could be like..rich..and.. famous.

*pokes will in the eyes, blade runner style*

 
At 10/07/2004 11:49:00 PM, Blogger conditionals said...

Awesome! The new Green Day album is very good, and that Phantom Planet cd commands a ship of goodness. The new REM is meant to be pretty good, the Postal Service are meant to be amazing and the Beatles, they just rule. And plus, I get to feel like such a musical snob by saying I don't like the new mixes of some songs on #1s.

Hooray for consumerism!

 
At 10/08/2004 04:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will!
I command you to lend me some of those cd's!
-Max

 
At 10/08/2004 11:29:00 AM, Blogger conditionals said...

Email me the ones you want and I'll burn them on a data cd for you... as a thank you for a certain religious FAQ that answered a lot of questions for me.

 
At 10/08/2004 08:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just in case any of your random blog readers was at risk of underestimating your obsessive compulsive side, i should mention that you forgot the bit about how you can only listen to albums in certain locations or moods, so that the album doesn't build up any negative associations which would destroy it for you and thus force it out of the listening cycle prematurely.

i can't watch tv because they keep mentioning the elections and then i get depressed.

i want to burn more of your cds. can we play that game again soon, please? or else i'll just ask you this if you ever leave your stupid sum41 stupid. or maybe someone else will come home. ah, the boredom ...

- alys.

also, you cannot be helped. but that's okay, we can overlook that, because you give us fun pointing and laughing times.

 
At 10/09/2004 04:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah... like this one time I listened to a cd whilst walking up a really steep hill at Turramurra and the album reminded me of getting tired after that. It's true, I can't be saved.

 
At 10/09/2004 11:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY WILL HEY WILL CAN I BRUN SOME OF YOUR CD'S

LIKE SUM 41 AND GOOD CHARLOTTE AND CAKE AND BLINK AND MISSY HIGGINS!>!>!>!?!??!?/!>!?>!!?!!!!!! I BURRNT THIS CREED CD THE OTHER DAY AND IT SORT OF MELTED AND WENT ALL BLACK AND BUBBLY AND THE FUMES GOT TO ME AFTER A WHILE AND SO I HAD TO LIE DOWN

SO YEAH I'M GOING TO BORROWE A WHOLE LOT OF YOUR CDS SO I CAN BURN THEM

THANKS HEAPS@!12

FROM PAT

 
At 10/09/2004 01:33:00 PM, Blogger conditionals said...

You can burn my Fuel cd. And my Diesel cd.

 
At 10/23/2004 05:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

may i point out that will got 2 of those CDs offa me, so hes not that bad... still hospitalisable though

scott

 
At 10/28/2004 11:54:00 PM, Blogger conditionals said...

Acutally it makes me look worse because your 2 cds are amongst the only respecatble ones there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home